Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gooey Butter Birthday Cake

I'm finally back in Savannah (yay) after being in Atlanta for over a month. But while I was home I celebrated my friend's birthday. I was planning on making this decadent cake for her, but I broke my mom's kitchenaid mixer. I don't know exactly how you break a mixer that big, but apparently I wore it out while I was home. So I had to think of another birthday cake to make her that I could easily make by hand. And then I remembered this recipe for a birthday cake that I made for all my friends in middle school and high school. It's so easy and pretty much idiot proof. Also, the great thing about this recipe is that you can change out the cake box for any flavor cake you want. The traditional is yellow cake, but you could easily do chocolate cake or anything you really want, but I definitely want to make it with red velvet cake mix next because with the gooey cream cheese topping, it would just be amazing. So this cake is a super easy recipe that you should keep around for times that you don't have a lot of time to prepare something. It's super decadent and delicious! Enjoy!
Gooey Butter Birthday Cake
For the Cake:
1 Box of Cake Mix
1 Egg
1 Stick of Butter, Melted
2T Milk

For the Gooey Butter Topping:
8oz Block of Cream Cheese, Softened
2 Eggs,
1 Box of Confectioners’ Sugar
1t Vanilla
1C Chocolate Chips
1C Rainbow Sprinkles

Directions: 
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a pan with Pam, then set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, egg, melted butter, and milk until combined. Press the dough into the prepared pan, so that there is an even layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the cake layer.
3. In another mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Pour over the cake & chocolate chips. Cover the cream cheese layer with the rainbow sprinkles.
4. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes until barely set in the middle (do not over bake).
5. Let the cake cool, so that the cream cheese topping thickens and will not be as hard to eat. 
oh-so-gooey

No comments:

Post a Comment