Thursday, May 5, 2011

White Cheddar-Green Chile Cornbread

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!! 
I hope that you have something fabulous planned, obviously something including margaritas :) 

Anyway, I'm stuck at my parents' house for the next few days because they are out of town, which does not leave me with much to do (or more specifically... eat). So I was rummaging through their pantry, which by the way there were some things in that pantry that were so old that I'm pretty sure like the settlers used or something. They really need to work on that pantry of theirs, but in their defense, they really don't cook that much, they are the dinner-going type. I wanted to make something mexican in celebration of Cinco de Mayo, and my original plan was going to be churro cupcakes with a dulce de leche center, but the only can of sweetened condensed milk that my mother had was from 2006, yes you heard me right... 2006! So, I saw a can of green chiles, a can of cream-style corn, and some cornmeal, so I thought I would make some green chile cornbread (kind of like jalapeno cornbread), and I found some aged white cheddar in their refrigerator, so I just shredded some of that up and put it in there as well. You could obviously use the base of this recipe for anything, it's really versatile. Instead of green chiles, you could put fresh jalapenos or some roasted poblanos, maybe some smoky bacon, or yellow cheddar... I mean the possibilities are really endless with cornbread. Make sure right after you bake the cornbread that you cut yourself a piece and slather with a big tab of butter... ok? I'm holding you to it. Well, enjoy your Cinco de Mayo!
White Cheddar-Green Chile Cornbread
Freshly Cut White Cheddar-Green Chile Cornbread
For the Cornbread:
1C AP Flour
1C Yellow Cornmeal
¼C Sugar
2T Honey
1t Salt
3 ½t Baking Powder
1 Egg
1C Milk
1/3C Vegetable Oil
½C Canned Sweet Cream-Style Corn
½C Aged White Cheddar, Shredded
1 Can of Green Chiles  


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a square, cake, or muffin pan with Pam and set aside.
2.  In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir in the egg, milk, vegetable oil, and honey. Next fold in the creamy corn, green chiles, and shredded cheddar until just combined.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes depending on what type of pan you use (decrease time for cornbread muffins).
4. Cut the cornbread into squares and slather with lots of butter (see below). 
Mmmm Butter :)

source: cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment