|“Better Than” Better Than Sex Cake with Triple Fudge Dark Chocolate Cake, Dulce de Leche Soaking|
Cream, Toffee Bits, Mascarpone Whipped Cream, Salted Caramel Whipped Cream, Salty Bourbon
Caramel Sauce, & Ruffled Potato Chips
For the Salted Caramel Whipped Cream:
1C Heavy Cream
½C Dulce de Leche
Pinch of Salt (or to taste)
For the Dulce de Leche Soaking Cream:
1 Can of Sweetened, Condensed Milk
1C Dulce de Leche
1t Vanilla + Bourbon
Pinch of Salt
For the Dark Chocolate Cake:
2 Boxes of Triple Fudge Chocolate Cake
1 Box of Dark Chocolate Pudding
1C Vegetable Oil
6 Eggs, Beaten
2C Heavy Cream (or Buttermilk) + 1C Kahlua Coffee Liqueur
1 Bag of Heath Bar Toffee Bits
Cape Cod Ruffled Potato Chips, For Topping
Homemade Chocolate Ganache or Chocolate Syrup, For Drizzling
For the Salty Bourbon Caramel Sauce:
1C Sugar + ¼C Water
½C Heavy Cream
1t Smoked Sea Salt
For the Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
8oz Mascarpone Cheese
½C Confectioners’ Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 ½C Heavy Whipping Cream
1. Prepping for the Salted Caramel Whipped Cream: The night before you make the cake, heat a small pot over medium-low heat. Add in the heavy cream, sugar, dulce de leche, & a pinch of salt to taste and whisk constantly until the dulce de leche has dissolved into the cream and has become smooth (it should be a light khaki color). Remove the heat from the pan and add vanilla extract. Pour this dulce de leche infused cream into and container and let it chill overnight.
2. Firstly, make sure the cream is thoroughly chilled. Add it into the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, and whip on high-speed until a fluffy, yet thick whipped cream. Season it with some sugar, vanilla extract, and salt if needed (really it’s up to your tastes).
3. For the Dulce de Leche Soaking Liquid: In a saucepan, heat the sweetened condensed milk over medium heat. Add in the dulce de leche and whisk until it has completely melted into the milk. Add in the vanilla, bourbon, and a pinch of salt and whisk until combined. Turn off the heat and continue whisking.
4. For the Dark Chocolate Cake: In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the two boxes of cake mix and pudding mix. Quickly add in the vegetable oil, eggs, heavy cream, coffee liqueur, vanilla, and salt. Mix until everything is just combined and a smooth batter is formed. Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam and pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until the cake is cooked through, but not overcooked. Let the cake cool for 20-30 minutes, and then using a straw, poke the cake full with holes and pour the slightly warm dulce de leche soaking liquid over the cake evenly. Let it soak for 4 hours before assembling the rest of it.
5. For the Salted Caramel Sauce: In a large saucepan, bring it up to medium-high heat. Pour in sugar and water, and whisk until the sugar begins to melt and the lumps dissolve. Let this simmer until the sugar begins to turn a light caramel color, at this point add in the salt. Finally, take the pan off the heat, and pour in the heavy cream (once again, it will bubble, but just keep stirring) and stir until it is a smooth, consistent sauce. Add in the bourbon and return the caramel to the heat for another minute or so. Pour this caramel into a bowl and set aside.
6. For the Mascarpone Whipped Cream: In a mixing bowl, combine the mascarpone, confectioners’ Sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir together until smooth and set it aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. And then, gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until combined.
7. Assembling the Cake: Once the cake has cooled & soaked, sprinkle the top of the cake with half of a bag of heath bar toffee bits. Spread the top with mascarpone whipped cream + salted caramel whipped cream, and then drizzle with the salted caramel bourbon caramel sauce and chocolate ganache (or store bought fudge sauce). Swirl the two sauces together with the two whipped creams. Once again, sprinkle the top with the other half of the bag of toffee bits. Push the ruffled chips into the whipped cream, so that they stay up and the cake has a jagged top. Again, drizzle the top with more salted caramel sauce + chocolate ganache. Place into the refrigerator and chill for 1-2 hours or until you are ready to serve.
8. Cut the cake into square servings and enjoy!!