Sunday, July 10, 2011

Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Red Velvet Cake is my ultimate favorite cake EVER. It's so amazing. Well I thought why not mix together two of my favorite desserts... red velvet & strawberry shortcake. Well, we did. And this cake is absolutely delicious. It is layers of my favorite red velvet cake and cream cheese poundcake with cream cheese frosting, pecans, and fresh chopped strawberries. Honestly, I don't feel like explaining it much longer because it's that good that I'm about to reach for another monster slice. Please make this cake. I'm begging you. Just do it. It's worth it... I promise. Wow, can't get over this cake, it's sooooo good. Yummy! Enjoy my friends & followers :)



The Outside of the Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake Just Ready to be Cut Into :)



I Love All Those Pretty Layers



Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Toasted Pecans, & Fresh Strawberries
For the Red Velvet Cake Layers:
2 ½C AP Flour
1 ½C Sugar
1t Baking Soda
1t Salt
2t Cocoa Powder
1 ½C Vegetable Oil
1C Buttermilk, Room Temperature
2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
2T Red Food Coloring (1 oz)
1t White Distilled Vinegar
1t Vanilla

For the Cream Cheese Poundcake Layers:
1 ½ Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 8oz Package of Cream Cheese, Softened
1 ½C Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 ½C AP Flour
Pinch of Salt
2t Vanilla

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 8oz Packages of Cream Cheese, Softened
2 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Softened
4C Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
2t Vanilla
Fresh Strawberries, Cut into Cubes

For the Cake:
3 Prepared Red Velvet Cake Layers
2 Prepared Cream Cheese Poundcake Layers
Prepared Cream Cheese Frosting
Fresh Strawberries, For Garnish
Toasted Chopped Pecans, For Garnish

Directions:
1. To Make the Red Velvet Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 3 cake pans with Pam and set them aside. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla. Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed. Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven, evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. One at a time, invert the cakes onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before layering.
2. To Make the Cream Cheese Poundcake: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and spray 2 cake pans with Pam and set them aside. In an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add in the sugar, beating well. Add in the eggs, one at a time, until each egg is completely incorporated before adding the next; beat until just combined. Combine the flour and salt in a small bowl, and then gradually add it to the butter mixture, beating at a low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Pour the batter into the two prepared pans and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour each, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes and then invert on a wire rack to cool completely (before layering).
3. Layer the Cake: Place 1 layer of the red velvet cake (rounded side down) in the middle of a cake stand. Using a spatula spread a thick layer of the cream cheese frosting on top of the cake layer. Scatter about ¼C of fresh strawberry pieces (pushing the fruit in slightly, so they sink into the frosting). Carefully set a layer of cream cheese Poundcake on top of the strawberry frosting layer (rounded side down) and spread another thick layer of cream cheese frosting and strawberries. Repeat this pattern until all the cake layers have been used, as well as the frosting. Make sure you end with a layer of red velvet cake.
4. To Make the Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla, and then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Once you have finished layering & stacking the cake, spread this softened cream cheese frosting over the entire cake. This first layer of cream cheese frosting should be very thin (make sure to scrape of excess with a knife). Place the cake in the refrigerator for an hour to harden. By doing this, this will form a hard layer around the cake, which will help with the cake crumbs to not be visible in your frosting. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the remaining cream cheese frosting over the cake in a thick coating (make sure it is even and smooth). Once all the frosting has been used, press the chopped pecans onto the sides of the cake for presentation. And then top with fresh cut strawberries.
5. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set up the frosting, but then let the cake come to room temperature for about 15-20 minutes before eating. 
6. Serve and enjoy this beautiful masterpiece!!

source: red velvet strawberry shortcake.

Check out Sweet for a Saturday & Everyday Sisters Blog for my recipe, as well as many others!!

23 comments:

  1. Girl, you're trying for the Top spot again this week, aren't you? You'll be pleased to know that this has already gotten quite a number of clicks so you just may see yourself in the Top 5 again next week. Keep up all the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you may not believe this, but your cake has just gotten the Top #1 spot again this week. You are amazing!!! Even more amazing because there were so many treats this week and you still came out on top. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing cake! I am truly impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe I won again, I just love your blog! Thanks for all the support & comments :) This was definitely one of my favorite cakes I've made, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing cake! I'm impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up this delicious cake to Sharing Sundays. It's one of our featured recipes this week!!

    Ellen

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an impressive cake!! Red Velvet is my absolute fave too! Next time I feel ambitious, I am going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellen-
    I'm so excited to hear that, this is by far one of my favorite cakes! I will be checking back to y'all's blog to see what other Sharing Sunday recipes I can share! Thanks for the invite!

    XOXO,
    Juliana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it's a stretch to expect a response after 4 yrs, but I saw this cake on Facebook, googled it & found this blog. I'm trying to figure out if it's necessary to user the 7 minute frosting that's referenced in between the layers.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually a typo! When I first was creating this recipe, I made one version with 7 minute frosting and one with cream cheese frosting, obviously the cream cheese frosted layer cake was better, and was then featured. So I fixed the directions and deleted my comments about a 7 minute frosting. Thanks so much for catching that and commenting on the blog, I hope to see you around the blog again!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  10. Hello,
    I was wondering if making the cake the night before and also when storing, do you need to keep it in the refrigerator or is room temperature okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Yes you can make it the night before, just make sure that you gently cover it with parchment/wax paper, saran wrap, or aluminum foil, so that it won't pick up any scents from other stuff in your fridge. Also, when it comes to serving it the next day, make sure you take it out of the refrigerator and let it come back to room temperature before serving. With big cakes that could be about 30 minutes to an hour. In other words, you don't want everything cold and hard-ish because it was refrigerated overnight.

      For storing purposes, you can either refrigerate it or leave it room temperature; however, you get a longer shelf-life if you refrigerate... I believe it's about 5-6 days in the fridge, where is you only have 2-3 days on the counter at room temperature. If you have some leftover, you can always freeze it and it holds up surprisingly well! I hope this helps! Thanks for checking out the blog and leaving a comment :)

      XOXO, Juliana

      Delete
    2. I am making this cake for a conference on Thursday. Can I freeze it on Wednesday night? I have to travel 4 hours with it on Thursday. what would you recommend?

      Delete
  11. What size cake pans are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello my name is Amie and I was want to make this cake for the holiday. Do mind if I try to make this cake

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combine of both dessert together

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this cake exactly as it states for my husband's birthday, as these are his two favorite cakes. This cake turned out to be one of the best cake's I've made! It was so moist and delicious. I have gotten so many requests to make this for those that tasted it. My husband hid part of the cake because he loved it so much and thought I was passing it out to much. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!!! I made this cake for a birthday party!!!! It was great. Beautiful looking and great tasting. I didn't use the nuts, just the strawberries. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this cake during the 2016 Blizzard & I can say it was very good. I didn't use the nuts but I did everything else. I just wish the shortbread cake part wasn't as thick which seem to make it dry but very tasty. All in all it was a delicious cake & I will be making it again. If anyone have any suggestions for the shortbread part to make it a little more moist, please let me know. I was hesitant to do any adjustments to it so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What size cake pans should be used?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my delicious never heard of these before but I love strawberries. These sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very Helpful information for the general public, If you're interested an online cake decorating tutorials then visit us:
    cake decorating blog
    Cake Decorating

    ReplyDelete