Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oven Baked BBQ Ribs

I love BBQ or any southern food for that matter, but the only issue with BBQ is that in order for it to taste really good, it needs slow and low heat & a lot of time in order for it to get really tender and delicious. So when I was planning this meal with my friends, we decided we wanted to make some BBQ ribs. It seems like it is a lot of work, but actually it is more work to prep than to actually cook. So when you have a big group of friends coming over for a cookout, this is perfect because all you have to do is throw the ribs in the oven and in a couple hours they are ready to eat, and most importantly, you aren't slaving away in the kitchen or by the grill when you could be hanging out with your friends. I also love this recipe because I am, by no means, a BBQ master. I have no idea how to smoke things, what wood to buy, or how to regulate a grill long enough to make ribs really good (I guess I will put mastering the art of BBQ on my bucket list). So by doing them in the oven, it is swift & easy! I trimmed the ribs of the extra fat and removed the thin film on the back of the ribs, and then generously coated them with my favorite dry rub ever. I put the coated ribs in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then cooked them. They were excellent. The dry rub is sweet, salty, and smoky, which I love. And the ribs are so tender you can barely eat them on the bone, which is a good thing, right? Yes it is. I also just slathered some BBQ sauce on at the end of the cooking process and then let it caramelize, so it would be nice and sticky. So, here's the first recipe of seven... I'll keep 'em coming :) Enjoy!!
My Plate Ready to Eat
Excited for the Feast 
Oven Baked BBQ Ribs
For the Dry Rub:
1T Salt
2T Brown Sugar
2t Garlic Powder
2t Onion Powder
1t Ground Cumin
1t Chili Powder
1t Black Pepper

For The Ribs:
2 Slabs of Pork Spare Ribs
Prepared Dry Rub
BBQ Sauce
Extra Rub, Salt, & Paprika, For Sprinkling

Directions:
1. The Day Before: Trim the ribs of extra fat and thin, shiny film on the back of the rack. Season heavily with the prepared rub. Put the rubbed ribs onto a large baking sheet with a piece of aluminum foil. Cover them and let them marinate over night.
2. The Next Day: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and take the ribs out (remove the foil) and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. And then sprinkle with a little extra dry rub, salt, and paprika.
3. Cover the ribs again with the tin foil and bake, undisturbed for 2 ½ hours, and then remove the tin foil and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, brush with some of your BBQ sauce and let the sauce caramelize to your liking/stickiness, while also making sure the ribs are very tender, Remove the ribs from the oven and set aside to cool briefly before cutting the ribs. Serve with BBQ sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment