Saturday, July 30, 2011

Apple Jack Panini

Do y'all love Pinterest as much as I do? I love love love it. Especially on rainy days and I have nothing to do, I literally just consume myself with billions of pictures. It is also somewhere that gives me great ideas for new & unique recipes. Well, I was wandering through the food & drink category and came across the Grilled Cheese Reinvented from a cute little blog. I couldn't help myself, but I was drawn to this sandwich (as many of y'all know, I'm a sucker for crazy sandwich combinations). Her sandwich has sourdough bread, pepperjack cheese, avocado, bacon, and apple slices. She raved about her creation, so I had to reinvent one as well, using hers as inspiration. I only made a few minor changes... I used guacamole instead of sliced avocado and I made a sweet & tangy honey mustard (because I believe that every sandwich needs a good sauce). Obviously, I made it for Mountain Man (the boyfriend) because I make him a sandwich/burger every week for him to devour. And I purposely try this outrageous combinations because otherwise he would eat the same thing every week... I gotta break this man out of his sandwich rut! Anyway, the sandwich had all the necessities... sweet, salty, tangy, creamy, and crunchy. Give this baby a go, mmk? Enjoy :)
Look at the Sliced Apples Hidden Under a Thick Layer of Guacamole  
Apple Jack Panini with Sweet & Tangy Honey Mustard
For the Honey Mustard:
5T Honey
2T Smooth Dijon Mustard
1T Grainy Mustard
1T Rice Wine Vinegar
1T Mayo

For the Apple Jack Panini:
4 Slices of Sourdough Bread, Fried in the Reserved Bacon Fat until Golden-Brown
Prepared Honey Mustard
6 Slices of Pepperjack Cheese
8 Thin Slices of Granny Smith Apples
Homemade Guacamole
6 Slices of Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Fried until Crispy (save the bacon fat)

Directions:
1. To Make the Honey Mustard: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve.
2. To Make the Apple Jack Panini: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a pan with tin foil and spray with Pam. Set this aside. Fry the slices of bread in the reserved bacon fat until golden-brown and crunchy. Then assemble the sandwich by spreading a layer of the homemade honey mustard on each slice, and then lay a slice of pepperjack cheese on top of each slice. On one of the slices, lay down the thin slices of granny smith apples, and then slather on a thick layer of homemade guacamole and top it with 4 slices of crispy bacon (4 per sandwich). Top the bacon with the other slice of bread & cheese. Place the sandwich onto the prepared pan and bake in the oven in order to heat the fillings and melt the cheese. Cook roughly 5 minutes or a little longer, depending on your oven.
3. Slice the sandwich in half & enjoy!


1 comment: