Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bourbon Banana Bread Pudding Trifle

I've never really liked banana pudding, actually I hated it for some odd reason. I think that's like a sin in the south because every barbecue or cookout I go to, there's banana pudding. But this recipe had made me change. Now I love it. My friends all love this recipe, it's one of the recipes that I always get requests for the recipe, and I don't know why I haven't posted it yet on the blog because I have made it like 4-5 times since I start Piece, Love, & Cooking. So instead of doing just the banana pudding for our cookout. I decided to update it with a twist and make Bourbon Banana Bread Pudding Trifle. I soaked cookies with some bourbon (because a real southerner tries to include alcohol in anything we cook), then I layered it with cubes of my favorite banana bread ever, sliced bananas, creamy vanilla custard, and whipped cream. You could easily leave out the banana bread and just layer it for good ole' nanner puddin' (it'll be just as delicious, I promise you). Like you have to make this... I mean it. It is sooooo good. You will thank me because next time you bring this to a cookout, you'll be the talk of the party. So be prepared and just bring copies of the recipe with you :) Enjoy!
Bourbon Banana Bread Pudding Trifle
Ready to Dig in :)
Layers of Bourbon Soaked Cookies, White Chocolate Banana Bread, Sliced Banana, Vanilla Custard, Whipped Cream
For the Banana Bread:
2 Eggs
1C +2T Sugar
2T Sour Cream
1t Vanilla
1C + 2/3C AP Flour
1t Baking Soda
¼t Cinnamon
½t Salt
½C Vegetable Oil
4 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
1C White Chocolate Chips   

For the Custard:
2C Milk
1 5oz Box of Instant French Vanilla Pudding
1 8oz Block of Cream Cheese, Softened
1 14oz Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk

For the Trifle:
2 Bags of Pepperidge Farm Chessman Cookies
¼C Bourbon
1 Loaf of Banana Bread, Cut into Bite-Size Cubes
6-8 Bananas, Sliced
Prepared Custard
1 12oz Container of Frozen Whipped Topping, Thawed

Directions:
1. To Make the Banana Bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam. In a standing mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, and then add in the sour cream and vanilla and mix until incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. With the standing mixer at the lowest speed, add in the flour mixture into the wet mixture in small increments. Next, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil until just incorporated. In another small bowl, mash the ripe bananas until mushy. Fold in the mashed bananas into the batter. Next fold in the white chocolate chips. Pour the banana bread into the prepared pan and bake for an hour until golden brown on top. Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10-20 minutes, then remove it and let it cool completely on a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, cut into bite-size cubes. Set them aside until ready to assemble the trifle. 
2. To Make the Custard: In a large bowl, combine the milk and pudding and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth.
3. To Assemble the Trifle: Lay some cookies on the bottom and brush some of the bourbon over them. And then top with the banana bread cubes. Spoon on some of the custard and then scatter with some of the slices of banana. Finally top it with some of the thawed whipped topping. Keep going for 3 or 4 more layers, depending on the size of the bowl, finishing with a layer of the whole cookies, organized into a decoration, for presentation purposes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (about 3 hours). 
4. Serve a big scoop on a plate and devour :)


Check out Sweet for a Saturday for my recipe, as well as many others!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks outrageously delicious!!! Please come over and cook with me and Emme!

    ReplyDelete