Monday, July 18, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Sandwich with Sassy Jezebel Sauce

I've made a lot of recipes based on Jalapeno Poppers. They are one of my favorite appetizers, but that's because I have a soft spot in my heart for any pepper or anything spicy really. I've made Baked Jalapeno Poppers (wrapped in bacon), Jalapeno Popper Bombs, & Jalapeno Popper Mac n' Cheese. Yep, I like Jalapeno Poppers. So, we just had to turn it into a sandwich... duh, but of course! This sandwich is layered with fire-roasted jalapenos, creamy boursin cheese, cheddar cheese, thick-sliced crispy bacon, and my Sassy Jezebel Sauce. But what puts this sandwich on top you ask? It is breaded & fried in panko breadcrumbs (like a real jalapeno popper should be)! Yes my friends, I bring you a fried sandwich. Don't kill me... I know you're probably gaining weight by just reading about this recipe. I apologize. But it was just soooo good. Enjoy :)



This Baby is Ready to be Cut



See that... That's the Crispy Panko Crust



Look at all those yummy jalapeno popper layers 



Jalapeno Popper Sandwich with Sassy Jezebel Sauce 
Sassy Jezebel Sauce:
18oz Apple Jelly
12oz Pineapple Preserves
18oz Peach Preserves
12oz Orange Marmalade
5oz Horseradish, Well Drained
1 0.8oz Jar of Ground Dry Mustard, Sifted
1T Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

For the Jalapeno Popper Panini:
4 Slices of French Bread (or Sourdough)
4T Prepared Sassy Jezebel Sauce
2 Slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4oz Creamy Boursin Cheese
8 Slices of Thick Sliced Bacon, Fried to Crispy
8 Large Jalapenos, Fire-Roasted & Skins Peeled
2C AP Flour
1T Paprika, Chili Powder, Cajun Seasoning, Salt
3 Eggs
½C Buttermilk
1T Hot Sauce
1 Box of Panko Breadcrumbs

Directions:
1. To Make the Sassy Jezebel Sauce: In a mixing bowl, beat apple jelly with an electric mixer; add in the pineapple preserves, peach preserves, and orange marmalade. Mix thoroughly. Whisk in the drained horseradish and dry mustard. Add in the pepper. Place in glass jars and cover; keep in cold in the refrigerator until ready to use (makes about 4 pints of sauce and keeps for about 2-3 weeks).
2. To Assemble the Sandwich: On all of the slices, slather on 1T of Sassy Jezebel Sauce. On the designated bottom slices start layering with the creamy Boursin cheese, fire-roasted jalapenos, crispy thick bacon, and then sharp cheddar cheese. Top with the other slice of bread and compact the sandwich together slightly.
3. To Bread the Sandwich: Set up a battering station by using 3 pie tins. For the first station, mix together the flour and seasonings. For the second station, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and hot sauce. For the third station, pour the contents of the panko breadcrumbs. Now, dredge the sandwiches completely in the flour mixture and then shake off the excess. Next, dunk the sandwiches into the egg wash, and then finally cover the sandwiches in the panko breadcrumbs.
4. To Cook the Sandwich: Fry the sandwiches in a sauté pan with oil on high heat until crispy and golden brown. Finish the sandwiches in the oven (about 400 degrees) to make sure the sandwich is heated through completely.
5. Remove from the oven and then slice the sandwich in half. Serve and enjoy!


*Also, if you have not heard about Jezebel Sauce, it is a sauce made of preserves and horseradish that is very popular in the South. It is most popularly served over a block of cream cheese as an appetizer. I know it may sound bizarre, but it is actually really good. This recipe, which I found my mother's recipe box, makes a HUGE batch, but it is great to make and put into mason jars, and then you can have something on hand if a visitor decides to show up unannounced. You can always make a small batch of the sauce, using the same ingredients to your liking of course!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my heavens. I need this. I love jalapenos. When I was pregnant the first time all I ate was jalapeno poppers. When I couldn't have those, I had jalapenos on EVERYTHING. Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete