Saturday, July 2, 2011

Coca Cola Cake

Everybody's heard of it. I feel like everyone has probably had it too. It's Coca Cola Cake. A classic southern cake that I was raised on. My mom made this cake all the time. It's simple and easy to make. And well, it used possibly my favorite thing in the world, Coke. I was mildly obsessed with coke for a while. I could go through a 12 pack a day. I finally kicked that habit (all carbonation actually), but I miss it dearly. Everyday I want one of those cold coke cans, ugh just talking about it makes me want one. So let's get beyond that... back to the cake. I love the coke-caramely flavor that it lends, while the cake isn't super sweet or chocolatey. And the frosting is just so yummy. Maybe I will just make a pan of the frosting and eat it with a spoon. Well, I know this recipe is nothing new, but if you haven't made it or had it, definitely do... it's scrumptious!
Classic Coca Cola Cake
For the Cake:
1C Coke
½C Buttermilk
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 ¾C Sugar
2t Vanilla
2C AP Flour
¼C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1t Baking Soda
1 ½C Mini Marshmallows

For the Coke Frosting:
1 Stick of Butter
1/3C Coke
3T Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
16oz Confectioners’ Sugar
1T Vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9inch pan with Pam, and then set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the coke and buttermilk. In another bowl, beat the butter at a slow speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add in the eggs and vanilla, and beat at a low speed until blended. In one more bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.
3. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into the butter mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat at a low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in the marshmallows. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
5. To Make the Coke Frosting: bring the first three ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Use immediately by pouring over the warm coke cake.
6. Let the cake cool and the frosting set before cutting & serving. 


*Please check out, Sweets for a Saturday for my link, as well as many others!!

No comments:

Post a Comment