For the Spicy Fresh Cracked Pepper Honey + Champagne Vinegar Vinaigrette:
¼C Orange Blossom Honey
2T Champagne Vinegar
½t Fresh Cracked Pepper + Dried Red Pepper Flakes
For the Mixed Citrus Salad:
3 Blood Oranges
1 Ruby Red Grapefruit
1 Cara Cara Orange
1 Navel Orange
2 Clementines or 1 Tangelo
1 Meyer Lemon
Cubes or Crumbles of Fresh Feta Cheese
Fresh Mint, Chiffonade
1-2 Shallots, Thinly Shaved
Prepared Honey Vinaigrette (listed above)
Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Flakes of Fleur de Sel, For Sprinkling
1. For the Homemade Honey Vinaigrette: In a mason jar, add the honey, champagne vinegar, fresh cracked pepper, and dried red pepper flakes. Shake the heck out of it until the dressing is cohesive, the honey has dissolved into the champagne vinegar, and the pepper/red pepper flakes are speckled throughout the vinaigrette. Set it aside until you are ready to use.
2. Preparing the Citrus: Slice the different citrus fruit into rounds, and then using very sharp kitchen scissors, carefully cut off the rind, making sure to get rid of the white bitter pith. Gently remove any seeds. Continue until all of the citrus have been finished and resemble a citrus “Carpaccio”.
3. Preparing the Salad: Cut the big block of fresh feta cheese into small cubes (or you can also decide to crumble it as well if you prefer). Shave a few shallots, using a kitchen mandolin, until you have thin slices of the onion. Chiffonade the fresh mint into small strips.
4. Assembling the Salad: Scatter a thin layer of the shaved shallots on the bottom of your serving dish. Shingle and layer the prepared citrus rounds in an overlapping fashion, so that they cover the entire plate (we decided to go in a rainbow colored scheme, but you could also do random or strips of color if you please). Place the cubes of feta into any holes that you see that need to be filled on the plate. I also scattered some crumbles on top, just for a little extra. Drizzle as much of the spicy honey vinaigrette as you want all over the salad, making sure to get all of the fresh cracked pepper + dried red pepper flakes (these ingredients really balance against all of the sweet flavors of the dish). Drizzle a few spoonfuls of olive oil on top of the dressing as well. Finish by garnishing with a sprinkling of fleur de sel and chiffonade mint.
5. Enjoy this refreshing salad with a glass of white wine!