Monday, November 12, 2012

Sour Cream + Onion Baked Steak Fries

Sour Cream + Onion Baked Steak Fries
It's been a month of me being sick today. Another day, another doctor. But, that won't slow me down. Even though I have lost almost 20 pounds from not being able to eat, I still am cooking up a storm. My family must love when I come home because I just constantly cook meals for everyone and I enjoy doing it. On Saturday, a recipe for a yummy patty melts. And what is better than a burger + some french fries? For my Mountain Man, it couldn't get any better. But, they are quite the deathly pair with all that oil and fatty, meaty goodness. So, why not switch it up and bake some steak fries. I really liked this because I love sour cream + onion potato chips, and these fries really pack a flavorful punch. But, hey you don't feel as bad because they are oven-baked. Yes, they might not be as crispy as a deep fried fry, but sometimes you really just don't all that mess to deal with. Here's your solution!! Enjoy :)

For the Sour Cream & Onion Baked Steak Fries:
2.5lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, Cut into Wedges
4T Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
2t Fresh Garlic, Minced
3T Powdered Buttermilk
1 ½T Onion Powder
1t Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
3 ½T Fresh Dill, Finely Chopped
1T Fresh Parsley, Finely Chopped
1T Fresh Chives, Minced
2T Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray with non-stick spray.
2. Add potato wedges to a large bowl and coat with olive oil and minced garlic, using your hands to toss in order to coat evenly. In a small bowl, combine powdered buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dill together and mix well. Sprinkle three quarters of the mixture evenly over the potato wedges, coating completely. Place potatoes on the wire rack and sprinkle with Parmesan.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping and tossing once, then for 15-20 minutes more, until golden and crispy. Remove and immediately toss with remaining sour cream and onion mix, and even more fresh dill, fresh parsley, and fresh chives.
4. Place the fries onto a serving plate and garnish with even more freshly grated Parmesan cheese all over the top (the more, the better). Enjoy immediately while they are still crispy and warm.

4 comments:

  1. Yes girl you can still come up with great food, even when not up to par!! This sounds great! My hubby will love these cause he doesn't eat much fried food, and I'm always trying to come up with a baked "fry" that packs a punch of flavor and this sounds like it will do the trick. Feel better soon. Miss B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do taste like the chips, loads of flavor! And I agree with you on the cutting back on fried food, I might post a bunch of recipes like that on here, but during regular weeknights, we stick to roasting, baking, and grilling. So I usually bake my fries for an easier side for dinner. I'm trying to think of some other food potato chip flavors that I could make into baked french fries... maybe like cool ranch Dorito flavored ones of something. Hope y'all love 'em!

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete
  2. The only reference I see to sour cream is in item #3 stating to add remaining sour cream. How much?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am referring to the "sour cream & onion" seasoning mix, no sour cream needed for this recipe! It simply just mimics the same taste as sour cream & onion chips at the store. So, just make sure to coat the fries in some of the seasoning mix, and save the remainder for another tossing after baking. This helps the flavor really stand out on the fries! Sorry for the confusion and I hope this helps :)

      XOXO,
      Juliana

      Delete