Monday, March 4, 2013

Sweet Cornbread Cake with Blueberries & Candied Bacon Compound Butter

Sweet Cornbread Cake with Blueberries & Candied Bacon Compound Butter
Have y'all ever tried the combination of blueberries + bacon together? Well I have, and I ain't never missing out on it ever again. I adored it. So much so, that I wanted to create a cake that highlighted this delightful pairing. And I know that many Southerners that are about to read this might shun me forever, but I'm willing to take the backlash. My name is Juliana... and I like my cornbread, sweet. Very very sweet. My momma should whoop me for saying something like that, but it's true and I take full responsibility for it. So, when I make my cornbread, I almost always turn it into a cornbread cake. My recipe is pretty simple, I make my favorite classic yellow cake mix as well as a buttermilk cornbread mix, gently fold together the two, and bake it up. This time, I added fresh blueberries, which is always a welcomed addition in my house. Not only did they liven up the flavor, but brought such a pop of color to the bright yellow batter. But what's the best part of this recipe, you ask? The Candied Bacon Compound Butter that gets slathered on top. Yes, I made a Candied Bacon Butter... my obsession has gone too far now, folks. You've got to trust me though, this butter is heavenly. And the uses for it are endless!! Think about smearing it on pancakes or waffles, a simple piece of toast, a buttery biscuit... or hey, you could substitute it into your next chocolate chip cookie recipe. I sure ain't stopin' ya! Bacon + Blueberries belong together, and my friends, cornbread is the perfect vessel to bring the magic all together. We served it as a side because we're naughty, but please, by all means, enjoy it for dessert as well!! Enjoy :)

CANDIED BACON BUTTER, y'all
Give yourself a big ole' slab of that butta.

For the Candied Bacon Compound Butter:
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
¼C Dark Brown Sugar
1t Cinnamon
½t Salt
8-10 Slices of Candied Bacon, Finely Chopped

For the Yellow Cake:
2C + 1T Cake Flour
1t Baking Powder
¾t Baking Soda
½t Salt
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Softened
1C Sugar
1t Vanilla
2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
1C Well Shaken Buttermilk

For the Cornbread:
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Melted
2/3C Sugar
2 Eggs
1C Buttermilk
½t Baking Soda
1C Yellow Cornmeal
1C AP Flour
½t Salt

For the Sweet Cornbread Cake:
¼C Vegetable Oil
¼C Sour Cream 
Prepared Yellow Cake Recipe
Prepared Cornbread Recipe
2-4C Fresh Blueberries (depending on how much you want)

Directions:
1. For the Candied Bacon Compound Butter: Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until whipped and all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Scoop out the butter and place into a dish or roll into a log with some plastic wrap. Refrigerate until it has become firm again.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9inch-baking pan. Set it aside.
3. For the Yellow Cake Batter: In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light & fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in one egg at a time, making sure each one is completely incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla. Beat in the sifted flour mixture and buttermilk in alternating additions until every ingredients has been added and the cake is completely incorporated and smooth. Set it aside while you make the cornbread mixture.
4. For the Cornbread Batter: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar, and then quickly add in the eggs and beat until well blended. Add in the buttermilk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Add this flour mixture to the wet mixture until completely incorporated.
5. Once both batters have been made, gently mix or fold them together to form one cake batter, and then fold in the fresh blueberries. Pour this batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on your oven.
6. Cut the cake into squares and serve with a square of Candied Bacon Compound Butter. Enjoy while it is still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment