|Sweet Cornbread Cake with Blueberries & Candied Bacon Compound Butter|
|CANDIED BACON BUTTER, y'all|
|Give yourself a big ole' slab of that butta.|
For the Candied Bacon Compound Butter:
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
¼C Dark Brown Sugar
8-10 Slices of Candied Bacon, Finely Chopped
For the Yellow Cake:
2C + 1T Cake Flour
1t Baking Powder
¾t Baking Soda
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Softened
2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
1C Well Shaken Buttermilk
For the Cornbread:
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Melted
½t Baking Soda
1C Yellow Cornmeal
1C AP Flour
For the Sweet Cornbread Cake:
¼C Vegetable Oil
¼C Sour Cream
Prepared Yellow Cake Recipe
Prepared Cornbread Recipe
2-4C Fresh Blueberries (depending on how much you want)
1. For the Candied Bacon Compound Butter: Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until whipped and all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Scoop out the butter and place into a dish or roll into a log with some plastic wrap. Refrigerate until it has become firm again.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9inch-baking pan. Set it aside.
3. For the Yellow Cake Batter: In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light & fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in one egg at a time, making sure each one is completely incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla. Beat in the sifted flour mixture and buttermilk in alternating additions until every ingredients has been added and the cake is completely incorporated and smooth. Set it aside while you make the cornbread mixture.
4. For the Cornbread Batter: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar, and then quickly add in the eggs and beat until well blended. Add in the buttermilk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Add this flour mixture to the wet mixture until completely incorporated.
5. Once both batters have been made, gently mix or fold them together to form one cake batter, and then fold in the fresh blueberries. Pour this batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on your oven.
6. Cut the cake into squares and serve with a square of Candied Bacon Compound Butter. Enjoy while it is still warm.