Monday, March 7, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup

I don't know what is more comforting than soup... I mean honestly. But the funny thing is that I really don't like soup. I wouldn't order it at a restaurant, and I usually don't ever make it. But one of the only soups that I love is Tomato Basil Soup. There's something that is so rich and creamy about this kind of soup and it's just so wonderful. It's smooth but packs a bold punch of flavor. So, we finally decided that we were really in the mood for some Tomato Basil Soup, and I never realized how easy it is to make! So if you love this soup as much as we do, then you'll love this recipe! And of course I always have to give anything I make an extra kick, so the red pepper flakes are optional. I served ours with a grilled pimento cheese sandwich... even more yum! Well, enjoy :)
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with a Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
For the Soup:
2T Butter
1T Olive Oil
1C Onions, Chopped
2T Garlic, Chopped
2 28oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
4C Tomato Juice
1 ½C Heavy Cream
3T Pesto
1C Fresh Basil, Chopped
2T Italian Herb Paste
½t Red Pepper Flakes
½t Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper, To Taste

Directions:
1. Melt the olive oil and butter on medium-high heat in a deep pot, toss in the chopped onions and garlic, and cook them until soft and translucent. Next, add in the crushed tomatoes and tomato juice. Let this cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
2. After the tomato mixture has cooked, add in the fresh basil, italian herb paste, pesto, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Return back to low heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
3. Now, using an immersion blender, blend the tomato mixture until it a smooth, creamy soup. After the soup is blended, slowly stir in the heavy cream. Lastly season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve immediately!


No comments:

Post a Comment