Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Festive White Chocolate-Cherry Shortbread Cookies

The Christmas cookie marathon continues... second up are Festive White Chocolate-Cherry Shortbread Cookies. I have mentioned before of my obsession with Pinterest. And I will urge all of y'all to go get an account because I assure you people that it is more addictive than Facebook. So just do it. Well, I have seen  this recipe for white chocolate-cherry shortbread floating around titled as "the best Christmas cookie", and that simply screams to me that I needed to make these. And so I did. I had to put my little twist on it and I wasn't quite sure what that would be until I arrived at the grocery store and saw green maraschino cherries. I suddenly thought that I should make red & green cookie dough and combine them together to make a super festive cookie (unlike the plain red cookie that I had seen). The cookies were perfectly buttery and sweet from the white chocolate. The only complaint I had was that they did not have enough cherry flavor, which I think could be solved by adding some cherry syrup or extract. So definitely give that a go if you want stronger fruit flavor. Also, the dough is extremely crumbly and tough at first, but just keep working it and it will come together. Otherwise, we enjoyed these cookies a lot and they were a nice added surprise to my Christmas cookie recipes!! Enjoy :)
The two doughs rolled together
Ready to be baked!
Decorating the cookies 
Red, white, & green 
Lots & lots of sprinkles
The finished product

Festive White Chocolate-Cherry Shortbread Cookies
For the Red Cookies:
¾C Red Maraschino Cherries, Drained & Finely Chopped
2 ½C AP Flour
½C Sugar
1C Butter, Very Cold
2/3C White Chocolate, Finely Chopped
½t Almond Extract (or cherry extract)
Red Food Coloring

For the Green Cookies:
¾C Green Maraschino Cherries, Drained & Finely Chopped
2 ½C AP Flour
½C Sugar
1C Butter, Very Cold
2/3C White Chocolate, Finely Chopped
½t Almond Extract (or cherry extract)
Green Food Coloring

For Decoration:
16oz White Chocolate, Finely Chopped
4t Shortening
Sprinkles & Glitter, For Decorating

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spread cherries on a paper towel to drain well.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball. Repeat with the same ingredients to make the green dough.
3. Place both doughs onto parchment paper or plastic wrap and form to halves of a round log. Place the doughs on top of each other and press together. Roll the dough into a smooth, long log again and wrap tightly. Place into the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes to an hour. 
4. Once chilled, cut the dough into thin, even slices and place about 2 inches a part on a baking sheet that is lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
6. In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in sprinkles and/or edible glitter. Place the cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment