|All of the Gingerbread Men "Oreos" Lined Up|
|Sprinkle them with a little bourbon vanilla sugar for presentation|
|Close Up of the Gingerbread Men "Oreos" with Eggnog Ganache|
For the Gingerbread Men:
2C AP Flour (plus more for rolling)
2t Ground Ginger
1t Ground Cinnamon
½t Ground Nutmeg
¼t Ground Cloves
¼t Baking Soda
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
1/3C Dark Brown Sugar, Packed
1/3C Molasses, Unsulfured
1 Large Egg
For the Eggnog Ganache:
16oz White Chocolate, Finely Chopped
Directions:1. To Make the Eggnog Ganache: Place the chopped white chocolate in a bowl. Put the eggnog in a small saucepan and heat until it just begins to bubble around the edges. Pour the hot eggnog over the white chocolate and let it melt for a few minutes. Whisk the mixture carefully until it is smooth and mixed. Sprinkle the nutmeg over the mixture and stir until mixed. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to cool to room temperature. Once it is lukewarm, place it in the refrigerator to firm up for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
2. To Make the Cookie Dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses and egg. With mixer on low, add dry ingredients; mix just until the dough forms. Place dough on floured plastic wrap; pat into an 8-inch square. Wrap well; chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide dough in half. Working with one half at a time (rewrap and refrigerate other half), place dough on floured parchment or waxed paper; roll out 1/8 inch thick, turning, lifting, and flouring dough (and rolling pin) as needed. Freeze dough (on paper) until firm, about 20 minutes. Loosen dough from paper. Cut out mini-gingerbread men shapes (or an easier shape if preferred), and transfer to baking sheets. Decorate with vanilla sugar or fleur de sel, as desired.
4. Bake the cookies until firm and the edges are just beginning to darken, about 10-18 minutes, depending on their size. Cool completely on the baking sheets.
5. To Assemble the Gingerbread Men Oreos: Once the cookies have cooled completely and the eggnog ganache has chilled, using a small hand-held mixer, whip the ganache until firm peaks form. Fill a pastry bag with a ½inch round tip with the whipped eggnog ganache or simply use a knife or spoon to spread it on. Pipe or spoon small dollops of the filling into the center of one cookie (or in the shape of the cookie) and sprinkle with a little extra nutmeg. Place another cookie on top of the ganache. Lightly press down to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with ganache.
6. Refrigerate the Oreos for about an hour or longer (I like them best cold, so I kept mine in the refrigerator) and serve with a large glass of milk!