Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gourmet Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream with Brown Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream Base, Brown Butter Cookie Dough Pieces, & Mini Chocolate Chips

Gourmet Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream with Brown Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream Base with
Brown Butter Cookie Dough Pieces & Mini Chocolate Chips
I have always wanted to open my own little dream bakery, filled with yummy sandwiches and delicious desserts. But recently, I've been on an ice cream binge. Like serious binge. And this ice cream has to be at the top of my list. I mean I can't stop eating this stuff. We actually made this recipe three times because we kept eating it instead of taking a picture. As a kid, I never was a fan of cookie dough ice cream. Why? Because it was practically plain ole' boring vanilla ice cream with a few chunks of cookie dough. That was just not gonna cut it for me. So when I came across the idea of making a cookie dough flavored custard base, I was immediately intrigued. A lot of the recipes used a brown sugar-type custard, but I knew I wanted to use my favorite brown butter-brown sugar custard as the base. Oh boy did I hit the jackpot. Brown butter is amazing. Then you add in pieces of brown butter cookie dough pieces and mini chocolate chips... heaven. on. earth. I'm tellin' y'all. So about that bakery, it might just have to turn into an ice cream parlor because that's how much I love making ice cream now. If you don't have an ice cream maker, go get one. Now. I'm obsessed with mine. They are so much fun and the combinations are endless!! Enjoy :)
Brown Butter is My Life
You gotta have lots of cookie dough & chocolate chips!!
For the Brown Butter Cookie Dough Custard Base:
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Browned & Cooled Slightly
2 ½C Heavy Cream
½C Milk
6 Egg Yolks
1C Dark Brown Sugar
½t Salt
1t Vanilla
1T Vanilla Bean Rum (or any kind of infused booze)
8oz Bittersweet Chocolate, Finely Chopped

For the Brown Butter Cookie Dough Pieces:
10T Unsalted Butter, Browned & Cooled until Firm
2/3C Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1t Vanilla Bean Fleur de Sel
½C AP Flour
1t Vanilla
1 ½C Mini Chocolate Chips 

Directions:
1. For the Custard Base: In a saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a simmer. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, dark brown sugar, and salt until fluffy. Slowly whisk in the brown butter. Once combined, gradually and slowly into the simmering milk. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, until thickened (it should coat the back of a spoon). Strain the custard into a bowl that is placed into an ice bath. Stir in the bourbon, vanilla, and cinnamon. Cool the custard base until completely chilled.   
2. To Make the Brown Butter Cookie Dough Pieces: Stir together the brown butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth.  Mix in the flour and fleur de sel, then the vanilla and chocolate chips.  Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.   
3. Once the mixture is chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Chop the disk of cookie dough into small chunks. As soon as the mixture is done churning, transfer to a bowl or airtight container and stir in the chocolate chips and the chunks of cookie dough. Store in the freezer until firm.   

2 comments:

  1. You had me at browned butter. Delicious recipe! I would love to open a shop someday...maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Browned Butter should be a food group in itself. There's no doubt about it!

      Delete