|Revamped Bruschetta Chicken|
For the Pesto Marinated Chicken:
1C Homemade Pesto
4 Chicken Cutlets
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
For the Bruschetta Topping:
1 Pint of Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Cored & Sliced into Quarters
½C Red Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
¼C Fresh Basil, Chiffonade
1T Olive Oil
1T Red Wine Vinegar
¼t Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
For the Parmesan-Panko Breadcrumbs:
½C AP Flour
1C Italian Panko Breadcrumbs
¼C Finely Grated Parmesan
For the Balsamic Reduction Drizzle:
¼C Balsamic Vinegar
For the Bruschetta Chicken:
Pesto Marinated Chicken Cutlets Breaded in the Parmesan-Panko Breadcrumbs
Olive Oil, For Frying
Prepared Bruschetta Topping
Prepared Balsamic Reduction Drizzle
Shaved Parmesan, For Garnishing
Fresh Basil, For Garnishing
1. Place the chicken cutlets into a plastic bag. Add in the pesto and a pinch of salt & pepper. Toss the bag, making sure the cutlets are completely covered in the pesto. Marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
2. For the Bruschetta Tomato Topping: Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until everything is incorporated. Let the mixture sit at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld.
3. For the Balsamic Reduction: Add the balsamic vinegar and honey to a small saucepan and cook to reduce for 3-5 minutes, or until thick and syrupy. Set this aside until ready to use.
4. For the Parmesan-Panko Breaded Cutlets: Preheat the oven to 400 and put a rack on a baking sheet (so the chicken can drain of excess oil). Next, you have to set up a battering station. I use 3 pie tins. For the first station, I mix the flour with salt and pepper. For the second station, I whisk together the eggs and milk. For the third station, pour the contents of one box of Italian Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Now, place the pesto marinated chicken cutlets into the flour mixture, then into the egg wash, and finally the panko (making sure they are completely covered). In a sauté pan, heat about one inch of olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry the breaded chicken cutlets for a couple minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy. Place the fried chicken cutlets on the rack and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes (or keep them warm while you are done cooking).
5. Once the chicken cutlets are cooked through & golden brown, take them out of the oven and place them onto a serving plate. Top each piece with the Bruschetta topping, making sure to cover the entire chicken breast. Drizzle with some of the balsamic reduction and garnish with fresh Parmesan and Basil.