|BBQ Shrimp & Charred Corn-Goat Cheese Grits with Roasted Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes,|
Country Ham, & Red Eye Gravy
For the Barbequed Shrimp:
1lb Wild Georgia Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined
Your Favorite BBQ Rub
Butter or Oil, For Sautéing
For Charred Corn-Goat Cheese Grits:
1C Stone-Ground Grits
1 ½C Heavy Cream
1 ½C Chicken Stock
1C Fresh Corn, Grilled or Charred
6-8oz Creamy Goat Cheese, Room Temperature (plus extra for garnishing)
4T Unsalted Butter
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
Roasted Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes:
2C Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes, Cut in Half
Olive Oil, For Drizzling
Salt & Pepper
Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
For the Red Eye Gravy:
4oz Thinly Sliced Country Ham, Cut into Pieces
1T of Reserved Fat (any fat can be substituted)
1T Maple Syrup (plus extra if you want it a little sweeter)
1 Beef Bouillon Cube
2T Unsalted Butter
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
A Splash of Water (it may be needed, this is optional)
For the Shrimp & Grits:
Prepared BBQ Shrimp, Cooked
Prepared Charred Corn-Goat Cheese Grits
Prepared Roasted Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes
Prepared Red Eye Gravy
Thinly Sliced Green Onions, For Garnishing
Crumbled Goat Cheese, For Garnishing
1. For the BBQ Shrimp: Toss the shrimp in your favorite BBQ dry rub until coated. In a large sauté pan, melt some butter or oil. Add the seasoned shrimp and cook until just done and still tender (don’t overcook). Remove the shrimp from the sauté pan and set them aside on a plate until ready to serve.
2. For the Charred Corn-Goat Cheese Grits: Bring heavy cream, milk and chicken stock to a gentle boil in a heavy saucepan. Add grits and reduce heat to medium low. Whisk occasionally at first, then whisk more frequently as the grits begin to thicken, watching carefully to make sure the bottom of the pot does not scald. Cook until the grits are thick and creamy, about 45 minutes to an hour. Add more liquid if you feel they are too thick, and continue cooking until desired consistency is reached. Season generously with salt and butter, adjusting to personal taste. Stir in the corn and goat cheese into the grits. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
3. For the Roasted Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400 °. Toss tomatoes with olive oil and kosher salt and arrange on a sheet pan cut side up. Top the tomatoes with a few sprigs of rosemary. Cook for approximately one hour until they are soft, shriveling, and turning golden brown.
4. For the Red Eye Gravy: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ham and renderuntil golden brown. Remove the ham from the pan and set aside on a plate and keep warm. To the pan, add the coffee, coca cola, and maple syrup and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the butterand the bouillon cubeand stir to incorporate. Reduce the sauce in half to thicken slightly. Taste the sauce and season with salt & pepper to taste and possibly a splash of water.
5. For the Shrimp & Grits: Scoop some of the Charred Corn-Goat Cheese Grits into a deep bowl, and then spoon on some of the Red Eye Gravy over the top. Add on the roasted rainbow cherry tomatoes and BBQ shrimp. Garnish with green onions, crispy country ham, and crumbled goat cheese. Enjoy immediately.