|"Everything" Brioche Burger Buns|
|Amazing "Everything" Burger Topping|
|Aren't they just so gorgeous?|
For the Brioche Buns:
3T Whole Milk, Warmed
1C Water, Warmed
2t Instant Yeast
2 ½T Sugar
1 ½t Salt
1 Large Egg
3C Bread Flour
1/3C AP Flour
2 ½T Unsalted Butter, Softened
For the “Everything” Topping:
1 Large Egg
4t Poppy Seeds
4t Sesame Seeds
4t Dried Garlic (minced or flaked)
4t Dried Onion (minced or chopped)
2t Sea Salt
1t Fresh Cracked Pepper
1. Making the Dough:In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the milk, water, yeast, sugar, salt and egg. Mix briefly to combine. Add the bread and AP flours to the bowl, and mix until incorporated. Mix in the butter. Switch to the dough hook and knead on low speed for about 6-8 minutes. The dough will be somewhat tacky, but you want to avoid adding too much extra flour, which will create tough buns. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1-2 hours.
2. Prepping for the Buns:Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat (I prefer Silpats). Using a dough scraper, divide the dough into 10-12 equal parts. Gently roll each portion of dough into a ball and place on the two baking sheets, 2-3 inches apart (I put 5-6 dough balls on each baking sheet, which ensures that they won’t touch). Cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise again, 1-2 hours, until puffed up and nearly doubled.
3. For the “Everything” Topping:In a bowl, mix together the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, salt, and pepper until completely incorporated. In another bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Set these both up in a station, along with a pastry brush, for quick assembly. Just a side note, you will not have to use all of the topping, just save the rest for another batch of buns or homemade bagels.
4. Baking the Buns:Set a large metal pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400˚F with a rack in the center. Place one of the baking sheets in the oven and bake the buns for 7 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and then brush them completely with the egg wash and heavily sprinkle the tops with the “everything” seasoning topping. Rotate the pan halfway and return the seasoned buns to the oven and to cook for another 8-10 minutes or until they are perfectly golden brown on top and thoroughly cooked through in the center.
5. Once they are done, remove the buns to a cooling rack to cool completely. After they have cooled, gently slice the buns in half and store them until you are ready to use them.
source: light brioche burger buns.