|Creamy Brie Mac n' Seven Cheese with Toasted Breadcrumb Topping|
|creamy brie cheese + toasted breadcrumbs, yum :)|
For the Topping:
3T Unsalted Butter
2 Cloves of Garlic, Finely Minced
1 ½C Toasted Bread, Pulsed into Bread Crumbs
For the Béchamel:
4T Unsalted Butter
¼C AP Flour
1C Heavy Cream + 2C Warm Milk
¼t Mustard Powder, Cayenne, Salt, & White Pepper
For the Mac n’ Cheese:
1lb Small Pasta (elbow, corkscrews, shells, etc)
1C Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
1C Fontina Cheese, Shredded
1C Havarti Cheese, Shredded
1C Gruyere Cheese, Shredded
6oz Brie Cheese, Rind Removed + Cut into Small Cubes
½C Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta until al-dente. You want it to have a bit of bite. It will finish cooking in the oven. Drain well.
3. For the Béchamel: While the pasta boils add 3 tablespoons butter to a medium skillet and melt. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds then throw in the homemade breadcrumbs and toss to coat.
4. Toast the crumbs for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Once the crumbs are lightly toasted remove form the heat and set aside.
5. In the same pot you boiled the pasta, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let cook/bubble for 1 minute, stirring once or twice to avoid burning. Gradually whisk in the milk and raise the heat up to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently until the sauce has thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in all of the cheese, mustard powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is fully melted. Stir in the pasta and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
6. Evenly sprinkle on the toasted crumbs and place the baking dish on a baking sheet.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the crumbs are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Remove from the heat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.