|Classic Mac n' Cheese|
For the Mac n’ Cheese:
¼C AP Flour
2 ¾C Milk
Pinch of Nutmeg & Cayenne
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
2C Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
1C Gruyere Cheese, Shredded
16oz Elbow Macaroni, Cooked
Bread Cubes, Toasted
¼C Parmesan Cheese, Grated
2T Butter, Cut into Small Cubes
Directions:1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and butter a casserole dish, and then set it aside.
2. Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Melt the 3T butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook, whisking, about 1 minute.
3. While whisking constantly, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep the mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, about 5-8 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the seasonings, 1 ½C cheddar cheese, and ¾C Gruyere. Set the cheese sauce aside.
5. Stir the cooked macaroni into the warm cheese sauce, and then pour the mac n’ cheese into the prepared casserole. Top the mac n’ cheese with the remaining ½C cheddar, ¼C Gruyere, toasted bread cubes, and cubes of butter.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the mac n’ cheese is hot & bubbly.
source: martha's mac n' cheese.