Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Jalapeno-Goat Cheese-Charred Corn Hushpuppies with Pepper Jelly

ROLL TIDE ROLL, everyone! Just in case you haven't tuned into ESPN, my Alabama Crimson Tide pulled out a win, and a shut out against LSU on Monday night (yay)!! I can't tell you how excited my Mountain Man was, I mean it was crazy. Unfortunately we didn't really get to celebrate like we normally do in these types of situations because I started school on Tuesday (yuck). During the game, we enjoyed those crispy shrimp & fried lemon wheel po'boys along with some hushpuppies. Hushpuppies are a classic side dish for any seafood. I didn't like them until about a couple years ago, and then all of a sudden, I started loving them. I don't like them just plain, I like stuff piled in. I ended up deciding to add fresh jalapeno, crumbled goat cheese, and charred corn. The jalapeno provided them with some heat, the goat cheese gave some tang, and the corn applied an amazing sweetness. I loved that they are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, but pillowy & soft on the inside. And, it is just so satisfying when you hit a goat cheese pocket. I like to serve the hushpuppies with pepper jelly for dippin', which means a little more heat & a little more sweet (always a good thing in my book). We will definitely be making these again because we absolutely loved them... and devoured them!! Enjoy :)
Jalapeno-Goat Cheese-Charred Corn Hushpuppies with Pepper Jelly for Dippin' 
Yummy Crispy Outside

For the Hush Puppies:
1C Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix
½C Self-Rising Flour
1T Sugar
1 Large Egg
½ + 2T C Buttermilk
¼C Fresh Chives, Minced
3-4 Fresh Jalapenos, Diced
½C Charred Corn
1C Goat Cheese, Crumbled
Oil, For Frying
Salt, For Sprinkling
Pepper Jelly, For Dipping

Directions:
1. Combine the first three ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in the center of the mixture. Mix together the egg, buttermilk, chives, jalapeno, and charred corn, stirring well. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Gently fold in the crumbled goat cheese, so that there will be pockets of cheese when you bite into the hushpuppies.
2. Heat oil in your deep fryer to 375 degrees. Scoop & drop the prepared batter into the hot oil and fry in batches, for 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and salt immediately.
3. Serve warm with pepper jelly and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment