|Retro Chocolate-Bacon-Peanut Butter Pie with Bacon-Peanut-Shortbread Cookie Crust, |
Peanut Butter Mousse Filling, & Chocolate Ganache Topping Garnished with
Crushed Peanut-Candied Bacon Crumble, & Bourbon-Maple Whoop
|Isn't this pie just gorgeous?|
|Look at the Roasted Peanut-Candied Bacon Crumble Topping|
|You gotta have the whoop, y'all!|
For the Bacon-Peanut-Shortbread Crust:
1C Peanuts, Unsalted & Dry-Roasted
½C AP Flour
¼t Baking Soda
¼C Light Brown Sugar, Packed
2T Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
1 Large Egg Yolk
6 Slices of Applewood Smoked Bacon, Cooked until Extra Crispy
For the Peanut Butter Mouse Filling:
1C Heavy Cream
8oz Cream Cheese
1C Creamy Peanut Butter
1C Confectioners’ Sugar
14oz Can of Sweetened, Condensed Milk
1t Fresh Lemon Juice
For the Chocolate Ganache Topping:
1C Dark Chocolate Chunks
½C Heavy Cream
For the Crushed Peanut-Candied Bacon Crumble:
½C Roasted Peanuts, Crushed
½C Candied Bacon
1t Rendered Bacon Fat
For the Bourbon-Maple Whoop:
1C Heavy Cream
¼C Grade B Maple Syrup
1. Spray a pie pan with Baking Pam and set it aside.
2. For Bacon-Peanut-Shortbread Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse extra crispy bacon in a food processor until there are very fine pieces. Remove the bacon into a small bowl, and then peanuts into the same food processor and blend until a peanut butter forms, about 2 minutes. In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda until incorporated. Using an electric mixer, beat together both sugars, peanut butter, small bacon pieces, and butter until well combined and mixture resembles wet sand, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl, until well blended, about 3 minutes (the mixture will be clumpy). Gradually add in the dry ingredients with your hands and beat until just combined (it will be crumbly, but do not over-mix). Gather dough with your hands, place into the prepared pan, and press evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Set this aside to let it cool completely before adding the peanut butter mousse filling.
3. For the Peanut Butter Mousse Filling: Pour the heavy cream into a bowl and beat using a stand mixer or hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a small bowl and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Place the cream cheese and peanut butter in a deep bowl. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar. Add the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Increase speed to medium and beat until all the ingredients are combined and filling is smooth. Stir in 1/3 of the whipped cream into the filling mixture (helps lighten the batter, making it easier to fold in the remaining whipped cream). Fold in the remaining whipped cream. Pour the filling into the piecrust. Refrigerate for a couple or until the peanut butter filling has hardened enough to spread on the chocolate ganache.
4. For the Chocolate Ganache Topping: In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream just to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until smooth. Pour or spoon the ganache over the top of the chilled (or hardened) peanut butter pie filling. Smooth the top with a spoon. While the ganache is still melted, sprinkle the crushed peanut-candied bacon crumble over the top. Refrigerate the pie for at least 3 hours or overnight.
5. For the Crushed Peanut-Candied Bacon Crumble: In a small bowl, toss together the crushed peanuts, candied bacon pieces, and bacon fat until thoroughly incorporated. Sprinkle this over the top of the chocolate ganache topping.
6. For the Bourbon-Maple Whoop: In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream and maple syrup together on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Whisk in the whiskey 1T at a time. With the mixer on high speed, continue whipping until medium-stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
7. Cut a slice of the peanut butter pie (refrigerated or frozen) and serve with a dollop of the Bourbon-Maple Whoop on top. Enjoy!
source: peanut butter pie for mikey.