Thursday, September 15, 2011

Death by Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies (Part 1)

I've come to the conclusion that my search for my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie is sadly over. I don't think that there is anything else I can do to improve my Gourmet Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Part 5). So far, those cookies are exactly what I was looking for. Naturally, I had to find another project, and that project is perfecting the most chocolately-chocolate cookie. I found this recipe and it had gotten great reviews, so I figured I would use it as a base to expand upon. These cookies were really good. I will however make a few changes & tweaks to suit my taste preference. But if you want a non-complicated death-by-chocolate cookie, this is certainly a keeper. Be sure to check back for my updated versions of this recipe! I also made this cookies into cookie sandwiches by filling it with a peanut butter frosting, so I included that recipe as well! Enjoy :)

Death by Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies (Part 1)
Death by Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches with Peanut Butter Frosting
For the Cookies:
2 Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 ½C Sugar
2 Eggs
2t Vanilla
2C AP Flour
2/3C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 
1t Instant Espresso Powder
¾t Baking Soda
¼t Salt
2C Semisweet Chocolate Chunks

For the Peanut Butter Frosting (optional):
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Softened
1C Creamy Peanut Butter
3C Confectioners' Sugar
1/3C Heavy Whipping Cream, Very Cold

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a Silpat, and set it aside.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in one egg at a time, making sure that each egg is completely incorporated before adding the next. Add in the vanilla and beat to combine. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture into the butter mixture, beating until combined. Mix in the chocolate chunks. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the dough into balls and place onto the prepared baking sheet. And then, using your fingers, crimp the tops of the cookies to make the more jagged (this will make them look more homemade). Because the cookies are quite large, I only put 6 cookies on a tray.
3. Bake for 10 minutes (cook them for 5 minutes, and then rotate the pan 180 degrees, and cook for another 5 minutes) until just set. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Once the cookies have rested on the baking sheet, move the finished cookies to a cooling rack, and then let them cool completely before eating.
4. To Make the Peanut Butter Frosting: In a large bowl, beat together the butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the sifted confectioners' sugar and then mix in the heavy cream. Place the frosting into a piping bag and fill two cookies with the frosting to form cookie sandwiches. 
5. Enjoy immediately!


No comments:

Post a Comment