Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Candied Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Sausages with BBQ Sauce

In the great state of Alabama, smoked sausages & BBQ sauce are a favorite combination. I had no idea how popular it was until I attended the University of Alabama, and all my friends were obsessed with it. So, I wanted to come up with a great appetizer that is easy to make on our tailgatin' days that everyone would love. And these are by far one of my most requested recipes from my friends & family. What's so funny is that is really isn't that much of a recipe. The recipe simply calls for some smoked sausage cut into bite size pieces, then wrapped in bacon, and coated with a spicy-brown sugar seasoning mix. And then all you have to do is throw them on the grill or bake them in the oven until the bacon is crispy and the brown sugar has caramelized. I personally recommend Conecuh Smoked Sausage because that is my absolute favorite, and I just love the spicy-smoky flavor. They are simply the best. I also serve the wrapped sausages with a BBQ sauce on the side, leaving it up to you friends if they want it or not. Either way, they are great just plain or dipped in the sauce. I'm tellin' you, these don't seem like much, but oh they are. They are always devoured when I make them. I hope that they will be as addicting to you as they are to us. Enjoy :)
Candied Bacon-Wrapped Smoked Sausages with BBQ Sauce
For the Sausages:
1lb Bacon
1 Package of Conecuh Smoked Sausage, Cut into Bite-Size Pieces
1C Brown Sugar
1T Cajun Seasoning
1t Paprika, Dry Mustard, & Pepper
¼t Garlic Salt, Cayenne, & Cinnamon
Your Favorite BBQ Sauce, For Serving

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cover a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with Pam.
2. Cut the bacon into halves and wrap each strip around the sausage pieces. Place the wrapped sausages onto wooden skewers.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and seasonings. Roll the bacon wrapped sausages into the sugar-seasoning mix until well coated. Arrange them onto the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with more sugar. Bake for 30 minutes until the bacon is crisp, the sausage is warm, and the brown sugar is caramelized, and then flip the sausages over, sprinkle with more brown sugar, and bake another 15-20 minutes until the other side has caramelized as well. 
4. Serve them with your favorite BBQ sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love this reciepe... Wonderful.. I will make it again on christmas day for my entire family of 21! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that the recipe turned out just as delicious for you as it does for us!! We call them our "crack sausages" because once you have one, you just can't stop. It truly is my go-to appetizer when I don't have a lot of time to plan something out!! Happy holidays :)

    XOXO,
    Juliana

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family loved this, especially the men and we have a lot in my family! We decided that we might include the warning..."If you hear someone say, 'Paddles...Clear', then you might want to step away from the dish! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these for our family Christmas dinner (for people who had never had them before), and all we could do was laugh about how these are just "heart attacks on toothpicks". But who cares? It's delicious. I mean what's wrong with sausage, wrapped in bacon, and coated in brown sugar... absolutely nothing in my book!! So glad the recipe worked for you!!

    XOXO,
    Juliana

    ReplyDelete