Monday, January 17, 2011

Salted Caramel Brownies

So I couldn't sleep at all last night, which sucks because I didn't have school today because of MLK holiday, so of course the one day I could sleep in, I didn't... typical. Anyway, I woke up at like 3AM this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Finally, I was soooo bored that I decided to go bake some brownies, keep in mind that this was at about 6AM. So I wandered into the kitchen and realized I still had some salted caramel sauce stored away from when I made it this weekend. So I put some of that in there, and it turned out delicious. And hey, it's a super healthy way to start off the day, right?!? Well enjoy :)

Salted Caramel Brownies
For the Brownies:
1 Box Brownie Mix
2 Eggs
¼C Water
½C Vegetable Oil
Salted Caramel Sauce, To Taste
Sea Salt
*Follow the back of whatever box of brownie mix that you get. The box I bought happened to call for eggs, water, and vegetable oil. But, make your brownies according to their directions and then layer with the homemade caramel sauce. Also, I didn't include the salted caramel sauce recipe because I made it earlier this week. If you want the recipe, please refer to the salted caramel-peanut butter cups and follow those directions, then add to your brownies. 

Directions:
1. Preheat the Oven to 350 and line a 9x13-baking pan with tin foil and spray with Pam.
2. Mix together the box, eggs, oil, and water in a medium bowl until incorporated (don’t over mix). Pour ¾ of the batter into the baking pan. Next spoon about 10 spoonfuls of salted caramel on top of the brownie batter.  Smear the salted caramel until it creates a thin layer on top of the brownies. Spoon the remaining brownie batter on top of the caramel and smooth again. Lastly, put about 5 more spoonfuls (or as much as you want) of salted caramel by drizzling. Swirl with a butter knife (but don’t over do it or it will mix together).
3. Sprinkle the top of the brownies with sea salt (to your liking)
4. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the heat of your oven. To check if they are done, dip a toothpick into the brownies and if it comes out clean they are ready!
5. Let the brownies sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Remove from pan and tin foil and cut into squares.
6. Store at room temperature in a container for up to a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment