|Healthy Teriyaki Chicken with Asian-Style Brown Fried Rice & Sauteed Broccoli|
For the Chicken:
6 Chicken Thighs, Boneless & Skinless
¼C Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
2T Splenda Brown Sugar (or regular brown sugar)
1T Honey, Optional
2T Low-Sodium, Fat-Free Chicken Stock
2T Rice Wine Vinegar
½t Sesame Oil
1T Garlic, Chopped
1t Ginger, Grated
¼t Red Pepper Flakes
Sesame Seeds, For GarnishSalt, To Taste
1. The day before: Wash and dry the chicken thighs and place them in a gallon freezer bag. In a mixing bowl, mix together soy sauce, Splenda, honey, chicken stock, vinegar, oil, garlic, ginger, salt, and red pepper flakes. Pour this mixture over the chicken and marinate for at least 4 hours; however, overnight would be preferable.
2. The day of: Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about an hour. This will help the chicken grill and not steam.
3. To cook the chicken: Heat a grill pan (I use my George Foreman) to medium-high heat and spray with Pam. Dry the marinated chicken thighs, so that there is no excess sauce. Grill each thigh for 2-3 minutes on each side, just so that they are starting to caramelize. Remove the grilled thighs and place on tin foil in a baking dish and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
4. If you would like your teriyaki chicken to be a little saucier, make another batch of the marinade, and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes (making sure you whisk constantly) until it is thick and syrupy. With 10 minutes left of the baking process, glaze the thighs with the sauce. Also, glaze once again when the thighs are done.
5. Sprinkle the thighs with sesame seeds for garnish.
6. Serve immediately with the Asian-Style Brown Fried Rice and sauteed broccoli.
source: teriyaki chicken