Friday, February 18, 2011

Homemade Watermelon Lemonade

It was a gorgeous day in Savannah today (about 80 outside)! 
So we decided to go to the beach, yay!! 
It was a blast :)
Me and the boyfriend :)
The Pier at Tybee Island
JYS + CDF
Anyways, while we were there I had a real craving for some lemonade, and my friend mentioned to me how she wanted some watermelon. So then I just had to make some freshly-squeezed, homemade watermelon lemonade. I mean how beachy/summery is that?! Well it turned out delicious... we've actually almost finished it all. I need to seriously like quadruple this recipe so it will last me all week! And maybe so I can spike it with some watermelon vodka later, yes? I think so! Well, I hope you enjoy!!
Homemade Watermelon Lemonade 
For the Lemonade:
2C Watermelon Puree, Sifted & Strained
1C Lemon Juice, Sifted & Strained
1 Batch of Simple Syrup, Cooled
3C Water
Ice, For Serving

For the Simple Syrup:
1C Sugar
1C Water

Directions:
1. First, start off by making the simple syrup. In a pot, bring the sugar and water to a boil on high heat. After it has come to a boil, reduce the heat down to medium-low and simmer the syrup for about 5 minutes. Set this mixture aside and let it cool down. 
2. Next, make the watermelon puree. Cut the watermelon into cubes and place into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Sift & strain the mixture into a measuring glass. I used about a quarter of a large watermelon and it was exactly 2 cups. But it will really depend on the watermelon you buy. Pour this watermelon puree into a serving pitcher. 
3. Squeeze about 5-6 lemons until you get 1 cup of lemon juice. I think that it's really important that you use freshly squeezed lemon juice, not that crappy store bought kind, it just tastes so much fresher! Make sure to sift and strain this juice as well because you don't want any pulp or seeds in your lemonade. Pour this mixture into the pitcher.
4. Add the simple syrup and water to that same pitcher, and stir until combined. If you can stand it, put the lemonade in the refrigerator to let it become cool. But of course we couldn't wait, so we just served ours over ice. 
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment