Thursday, April 28, 2011

Apple Walnut Bread with Cinnamon Glaze

This past weekend, we went over to a family friend's house for Easter Dinner. We had beef tenderloin, salad, mashed potatoes, and so many more dishes that I can't even think of. I brought over the salad and my famous banana bread, which surprisingly enough I haven't even posted as a recipe on here, so I better get on that. But anyway, I was thinking to myself about how much I love banana bread... it's texture, how moist it is, but it's not overly sweet. So I thought I would make an apple bread (that's exactly like banana bread) with a cinnamon glaze because honestly what is better than apples & cinnamon. I mean it's just a classic combination. I really like this apple bread, and it will definitely be something great to make in the fall when apples are bountiful. I added walnuts to the bread, but you could easily take those out and make just plain bread. Enjoy!
Apple Walnut Bread with Cinnamon Glaze
For the Bread:
1 ¼C AP Flour
1C Sugar
1t Baking Powder
1t Salt
½t Baking Soda
½t Cinnamon
½t Nutmeg
2 Eggs
½C Vegetable Oil
½C Applesauce
2T Sour Cream
1t Vanilla
1 ½C Apple, Shredded & Squeezed Dry
1C Cinnamon Chips
¾C Chopped Walnuts, Optional

For the Cinnamon Glaze:
1C Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
1t Cinnamon
1t Vanilla Extract
3T Milk

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray at 9x5 loaf pan with Pam and set aside.
2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts (if you’re using them. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, sour cream, and vanilla. Slowly add this wet mixture in small increments into the dry mixture. Lastly, fold in the shredded apple and cinnamon chips.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool the bread in the loaf pan for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto the rack in order to cool completely.
4. To make the glaze, whisk the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and milk until it becomes a smooth glaze. Immediately pour or drizzle over the cooled cake and let it set for 15-20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment