Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Turkey Chili

Today was a pretty murky day in Savannah, which means I have to stay inside and be bored, unfortunately. So I was in the mood for some comfort food, but I didn't want to go to the grocery store, but I had some ground turkey and some canned tomatoes, and I thought, well I'll just make some Turkey Chili. And if you're going to make chili, I feel like you should have some cornbread on the side, so I made some Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread as well too. So here's my recipe for Turkey Chili (without beans because I absolutely hate beans, but feel free to add them in if you like), I hope you enjoy!
Turkey Chili with Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
For the Chili:
2T Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1T Garlic, Chopped
1lb Ground Turkey
2 28oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
1C Water
1 4oz Can of Chopped Green Chiles
2 Jalapenos, Seeded & Diced
3T Chili Powder
1t Paprika
½t Dried Oregano
½t Cayenne Pepper
1t Cumin
½t Salt
1t Onion Powder
1t Garlic Salt
2t Brown Sugar
¼C Creamy Peanut Butter
2T Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1T Hot Sauce
1t Worcestershire
Pinch of Cinnamon

Directions:  
1. Heat the olive oil in a big pot on medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender, then add in the garlic and diced jalapenos and cook for about 2 minutes. Next, add in the ground turkey and cook thoroughly through.
2. Add in the water, crushed tomatoes, and green chiles. Let this mixture cook for about 10 minutes, then stir in chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne, cumin, salt, onion powder, garlic salt, and brown sugar. Let this mixture cook covered on low heat for 30 minutes.
3. After it has simmered, stir in the creamy peanut butter, cocoa powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and cinnamon. Once again, cook on simmer for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
4. Serve the chili hot and top it with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onions.

source: turkey chili

No comments:

Post a Comment