|Chunky Carrot Cake with Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting|
For the Carrot Cake:
1 ¼C Vegetable Oil
2C AP Flour
2t Baking Soda
2t Baking Powder
¼t Ground Ginger
3C Grated Carrot
1C Pecans, Chopped
½C Golden Raisins
½C Dried Chopped Oranges, Reconstituted in Orange Liquor & Juice
½C Toasted Coconut
For the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
3 8oz Blocks of Cream Cheese, Softened
1 ½ Sticks of Unsalted Butter, Softened
2 ½C Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
2T Orange Zest
1T Orange Liquor & Juice, From Reconstituted Dried Oranges
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 cake tins with parchment paper and then spray with Pam.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar, and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Then fold in pecans, golden raisins, and reconstituted oranges. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes each, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
4. To Make the Frosting: beat together the cream cheese and butter until creamy, then add in the orange zest, orange liquor & juice, and vanilla. Next, beat in the sifted confectioners’ sugar until blended and smooth. Chill the frosting in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes in order to set up a little.
5. To assemble the layer cake, frost the top of one cake, place the other cake on top, and repeat. Frost the sides and top, swirling decoratively. Press the toasted coconut onto the sides of the cake for presentation. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set up the frosting, but then let the cake come to room temperature (about 10-15 minutes) before eating.
6. Serve and enjoy!
|Slice of Carrot Cake|
|Carrot Cake Layers|