Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chocolate Chip-Banana-Zucchini Bread

Happy Mother's Day (to all the mothers out there)
but most importantly to my darling mother, Peej 
Here are some pictures of us over the years...
Christmas 2010
Garden Dinner with Peej & Eloise
Walking around Forsyth Park in Savannah
Spring Break 2007
Anyway, I decided that I would make one of my mom's recipes in honor of Mother's Day, and she has so many recipes. There's no organization to them, just baggies and boxes of all of them. So, I went through to see what I should make, and I came across Banana Zucchini Bread, which I happened to have 3 zucchinis and 2 bananas, so that seemed like a logical choice. And I have never made zucchini bread before because honestly, I don't know how I feel about a vegetable being in sweet dessert. But she reassured me that you really don't taste the zucchini, it just makes the bread more moist and that she just loves the little green flecks that are scattered throughout the bread. Here's the old recipe that I found. Apparently I wanted to cook way before I actually knew it because I was obviously already trying to re-write her recipe by the looks of my orange marker, typical. I'm not quite sure what I was trying to write or do, maybe I was trying to add a little color... I tend to do that, hence the tattoos on my body. I also made the bread in her old, vintage loaf pan, just because it makes it that much better.
Peej's Old Recipe Card
Old Loaf Pan
Well, the recipe turned out really good (I halved her recipe to only make one loaf), I messed around with it a little bit, adding a few more things and more importantly mini-chocolate chips (yum). But she definitely gave what she promised. The bread was super moist, not too sweet, and I do have to agree with the pretty little green flecks. And the chocolate chips are optional of course, but when do you ever turn down chocolate? I don't. Enjoy the bread!
Banana Zucchini Bread with Mini Chocolate Chips
For the Bread:
1C Ripe Bananas, Mashed
1C Zucchini, Grated & Squeezed Dry
1 ½C AP Flour
½C Vegetable Oil
¾C Sugar
2T Sour Cream
1 Egg, Beaten
1t Baking Soda
½t Baking Powder
1t Cinnamon
¼t Nutmeg
¼t Ground Ginger
1t Vanilla
½t Salt
½C Mini Chocolate Chips, Optional

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a loaf pan with Pam.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, oil, egg, vanilla, and mix. Then another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
3. Next, fold in the grated zucchini and mini chocolate chips until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake the bread for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on your oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
5. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it and let it completely cool on a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment